HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What are your favorite Star Wars books?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Discuss! grinning

View user profile http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Okay, so the only Star Wars books I've read are the movie novelizations... and I probably read them over five years ago...

I did try and at least start listening to the Rebels Audiobook (A New Dawn was it?) on YouTube at the beginning of the summer, but I kept getting interrupted, and I haven't tried since. I also feel like I should only start reading the new SW books from here on out, since the majority of the EU is no longer canon (sorry, EU fans); but since there aren't many (if any at all) new SW books out, I feel like I don't have much material to work with.

Plus, I have a little paradox with reading: When I want to read, I don't have the time. When I have the time, I don't want to read (or I forget to read).

I'm a Moderator... still not quite sure what that is...
I have an INFP personality type (in case you were wondering)
Remember The Clone Wars!!! (even though Rebels is great too)
"I concur!" (my semi-official catchphrase)

Last edited by allishmalli on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Starwarsartist
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Even if it's the only EU book you ever read in your life, read Dark Disciple! (I stg i will turn into a walking advertisement for this book, I love it so much.) It's the Clone Wars arc with Quinlan Vos and Ventress novelized and it is SO. GOOD. I finished it in about five hours because I just couldn't put it down. It gets REALLY intense near the end and it made me cry harder than I did at The Fault In Our Stars. I read it again yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'll read it again in the near future. It's very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluesaber3
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Alli, I rented "A New Dawn" from the library! I haven't started it yet XDDDD

I'll probably pop back on this topic once I actually do read it XD

Want to read my stuff? I'd be so happy if you did! :3 Bluesaber3's Fanfiction Profile
ThE dIivIVsIoN Of iNsANiTy! http://thedivisionofinsanity.tumblr.com/
My personal blog: http://neonpinkpotatoes.tumblr.com/
ESFJ & Friends, a MBTI blog by me! http://esfj-and-friends.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Starwarsartist wrote:
Even if it's the only EU book you ever read in your life, read Dark Disciple! (I stg i will turn into a walking advertisement for this book, I love it so much.) It's the Clone Wars arc with Quinlan Vos and Ventress novelized and it is SO. GOOD. I finished it in about five hours because I just couldn't put it down. It gets REALLY intense near the end and it made me cry harder than I did at The Fault In Our Stars. I read it again yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'll read it again in the near future. It's very good.

Oh, yah! I forgot about that book! I'll see if I can either "rent" it from the library or wait and see if I can get the audiobook to it or something.

EDIT (10-12-15): Speaking of audiobooks, did you know that it costs It costs 199.91% more to buy the audiobook of Star Wars: A New Dawn (if bought on iTunes) than the actual book (if bought at Barnes & Noble, the only physical bookstore in my area) and it costs 40.48% more to buy the audiobook of Dark Disciple: Star Wars (if bought on iTunes) than the actual book (if bought at Barnes & Noble)? That's crazy!!! I've been debating myself for a few weeks on whether or not I start buying Star Wars audiobooks. Overall, I've been leaning towards getting them (or at least trying them out)... except when it come to the price, which I'm not too crazy about... END OF EDIT

I hope they do more TCW books. I'd even be happy if they did novelizations of existing TCW arcs and maybe just add other things like more depth and characterization and such... maybe fix some of the problems from the stories from the early seasons and such... just a thought though.

Last edited by allishmalli on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Starwarsartist
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 pm

Oh man a novelization of the Mortis arc would probably make me die of happiness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:22 pm

Starwarsartist wrote:
Oh man a novelization of the Mortis arc would probably make me die of happiness.

I know, right!? I'd also die of happiness from a novelization of the Ahsoka arc (not quite sure if that has a name other than the Ahsoka arc) from the end of Season 5, the Obi-Wan Undercover arc, the Darth Maul Returns arc, the Citadel arc, the Domino Squad arc, the Umbara arc, the Kadavo arc and the Trandoshan Hunters arc. Oh, and I would love to see how they would novelize the Yoda & the Force arc from the Lost Missions.

Ya know, just any arc would be awesome to read in novelization form!

UPDATE (a few hours later): I'd actually real like to see them combine "Cat and Mouse", "Hidden Enemy", and TCW movie into one big (hopefully coherent) novelization of that part of TCW (since "Cat and Mouse" and "Hidden Enemy" are prequel episodes to TCW movie... which was actually supposed to be four actual episodes until GL came in and told them to make it into a movie).

Last edited by allishmalli on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:30 pm

I definitely need to read Dark Disciple! Really any way I can get my hands on those planned Clone Wars episodes is great to me!

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Hey! (I don't know if this needs it's own topic or not, so I'm just gonna post it here). I just saw that the new SW book, Star Wars: Aftermath, has now revealed an excerpt out on The Star Wars Underworld and is set to come out in September. Apparently, I think this book is the beginning of the new EU set after RotJ and before TFA. http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2015/07/excerpt-from-star-wars-aftermath.html

EDIT (09-13-15): Now that the book is out, has anyone read it yet? At first, I really wanted to read it even though I was planning on waiting until TFA came out so nothing in the book would spoil the movie. But now I've seen a lot of reviews saying that it's (in the nicest way to say it) not a well-written book, so I don't know if I want to read it (especially if I have to buy it, I'd rather spend my money on A New Dawn and/or Dark Disciple). What do y'all think?

Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Quick question (referring back to the TCW-novelizations we were talking about): Is it legal to do a fan-novelization? Like if someone wanted to adapt a particular TCW arc into written form and then post it on a blog or something, would there be legal/copyright issues? Even if that person used a disclaimer?

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:24 pm

I heard about Aftermath and that it wasn't very good. Even though there is a new EU, personally still I don't have any interest in the books unless they are adapted Clone Wars arcs. I'd love to read some of the comic books, though.

And to answer your question, as long as you aren't making money from it, that should be fine.

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:41 pm

So... question for the avid old-EU fans out there. What was your favorite book/series of the old EU? Also, if the EU hadn't been un-cannonized, what would be your recommendation for someone's first ever EU book?

Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:08 pm

allishmalli wrote:
Starwarsartist wrote:

Oh, yah! I forgot about that book! I'll see if I can either "rent" it from the library or wait and see if I can get the audiobook to it or something.

So, I bought the audiobook of Star Wars: Dark Disciple and read/listened to it while riding in the car to and from AR & MO for Thanksgiving, and I gotta say... I loved it. It felt like listening to an actual TCW episode (aside from the fact that one guy voices everyone which, to be honest, got a touch distracting sometimes) but it also showed depth to the characters that a visual medium cannot entirely show... not to say that I don't want these episodes to eventually be finished, I do. I'd love to see the episodes, especially since there are 8 of them in this particular arc, which I find a bit crazy but alluring.

Anyways (back on point), I agree with SWA. If you're gonna ever read/listen to a SW book, read/listen to Dark Disciple.

I feel like I need a little bit more time to completely presses everything, so I'll come back and finish typing out all my thoughts on this book....

EDIT (a day later): Just to reiterate a previous comment: After "reading" Dark Disciple, I really hope that Disney decides to turn every arc/episode of TCW into a novel. Now that I know that a TCW novel can be really good and really fun/interesting to read, I'm so on-board with the idea.

Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:32 pm

(sorry for not being on here in so long. I was doing the five years post for Amanda and thought I'd come check it out). What happened to the old book discussions?
For the EU, my favorite books are
Jedi Apprentice series
Secrets of the Jedi
Jedi Quest series
Revenge of the Sith adult novelization
Young Jedi Knights series
Junior Jedi Knights series
The Last of the Jedi series
Legacy of the Jedi
Shatterpoint
Wild Space
Darth Bane trilogy,
Rogue Planet
The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones adult novelizations
Prequel trilogy junior novelizations
Fatal Alliance
Tales of the Jedi comics
Pre Clone Wars and Clone Wars related comics (more so the ones that came before TCW)
Lost Tribe of the Sith
New Jedi Order series (haven't read it all, but I liked what I remember)
etc
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://writing-reading-acting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=20
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:24 am

Good to see you back, Siri! Smile Leia had me archive the old discussions when we rearranged the forum, but if there are any you want back, I can move them back over to the forum! Smile

SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks! Smile I ended up seeing that later but thanks for explaining. Not sure as of yet, but I would like the Jude Watson discussion back, since I really do like her books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://writing-reading-acting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=20
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:15 pm

No problem! Smile I'll move that one back over here, and let me know if there are any others you'd like reopened!

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Tue May 03, 2016 10:15 am

So, Star Wars: Bloodline came out today. Apparently, it's about "... Princess Leia's transformation from Republic Senator to Resistance leader before the rise of the First Order" (quote from the IGN review).

Who's planning on reading it?

I'm going to see if I can buy the audiobook by next Wednesday so I can listen to it while I'm out of town for the next 10-11 days.

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:58 pm

It sounds interesting! I'd like to read it, but I'm the same person who has been working on Dune for a year, so I don't know if I'll ever actually get around to it :/

Please let me know how it is, though!

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Duchess Satine Kenobi wrote:
It sounds interesting! I'd like to read it, but I'm the same person who has been working on Dune for a year, so I don't know if I'll ever actually get around to it :/

I've been working on The Fellowship of the Ring (off and on) for two years now. I've actually restarted it recently to see if the audiobook gets me through it.

Please let me know how it is, though!

I really liked it! It is on the political side though, so if you find that boring in any capacity, then it might not be your thing. I found the political stuff in this book intriguing and there's a fair amount of other interesting things going on as well to keep things interesting. I did get the audiobook, so I don't know if that changes anything for you either. The only complaint (it is more of a complaint than a legit problem) I have about the audiobook is when the reader (who is a woman) tries to do male voices, mainly of already-established characters (e.g. Han, C-3PO, Luke, etc.). I know she's trying her hardest (she does well with the other female voices), but it just pulls me out of it when I hear a woman trying to imitate Han Solo... it's weird...

Anyway. I hope you get around to it. I really liked it.

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:25 pm

I haven't tried an audiobook yet, but that sounds like a good idea. I love to listen to podcasts and stuff when I'm doing art, so an audiobook may be just perfect for me.

Cool! It sounds pretty good. When it comes to Star Wars I find the politics of that universe very interesting. I'm especially curious about that era of Star Wars.

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Cool! It sounds pretty good. When it comes to Star Wars I find the politics of that universe very interesting. I'm especially curious about that era of Star Wars.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I found it really interesting.

Has anyone else heard about the new Star Wars book coming out in October? Apparently, it's about Ahsoka!

I'm so excited to read it... well, I'm excited to listen to it... on one condition... that they have Ashley Eckstein herself narrate the audiobook or at least Ahsoka's lines rather than hire someone else to imitate her voice.

I might be wrong, but I'm sure that Ashley has voiced Ahsoka in every Star Wars project that needed Ahsoka to be voiced. So, if they hire someone else to voice Ahsoka, it'll be the first time for me hearing someone else portray her and it probably won't feel like I'm listening to her and/or her story at all!

Anyone else feel the same way?

I am glad that they are finding ways to tell more Ahsoka stories. Would I still prefer that Dave and everybody go back and finish making all the episodes of TCW they were working on and planning on making? Yes... but reading/listening to novels is good enough for me right now.

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:09 am

I'm really excited about this too! This is one I will DEFINITELY make time to read. And I completely agree with you, they need to have Ashley narrate, or at least read Ahsoka's lines. It just wouldn't feel right if it was anyone else voicing Ahsoka.

Starwarsartist
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:20 am

I don't like audiobooks. I have a hard time concentrating on them. I need to have the visual or I zone out (which is why I've always liked books.)

But if Ashley narrates the audiobook I will 100% be getting it.

(also!!!! just the fact that we're getting an ahsoka book!!!! i am so excited!!!!!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 pm

allishmalli wrote:
I'm so excited to read it... well, I'm excited to listen to it... on one condition... that they have Ashley Eckstein herself narrate the audiobook or at least Ahsoka's lines rather than hire someone else to imitate her voice.

I might be wrong, but I'm sure that Ashley has voiced Ahsoka in every Star Wars project that needed Ahsoka to be voiced. So, if they hire someone else to voice Ahsoka, it'll be the first time for me hearing someone else portray her and it probably won't feel like I'm listening to her and/or her story at all!

Anyone else feel the same way?

I'm really excited about this too! This is one I will DEFINITELY make time to read. And I completely agree with you, they need to have Ashley narrate, or at least read Ahsoka's lines. It just wouldn't feel right if it was anyone else voicing Ahsoka.

Starwarsartist wrote:
I don't like audiobooks. I have a hard time concentrating on them. I need to have the visual or I zone out (which is why I've always liked books.)

But if Ashley narrates the audiobook I will 100% be getting it.

Guys...

Skip to 2:59

I am totally buying this audiobook when it comes out!!! Heck, I might just preorder it if that gets it to me faster!!! I cannot wait for this book to come out now! I might just listen to it the day I get it and not wait until I go on a road trip (which is when I like to listen to my audiobooks the most since I'm just sitting in the car looking out the window)!!! I'm SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!!! *Screams with excitement*

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your favorite Star Wars books?   

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite Star Wars books?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1