Share | 

'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:24 pm

So, as of right now, it's 338 days until the first of many Star Wars spinoff films is released... Star Wars: Rogue One.

So that begs the question... how do you feel about the fact that we're sort of getting another Star Wars film before the next official Star Wars film? It also begs the question... how do you feel about the idea of these spinoff films in general?

I, for one, am excited for Rogue One, seeing that it would be totally awesome to actually see the events that take place right before ANH and we only know about through the opening text crawl in ANH. Plus, having a new Star Wars film before Episode 8 will certainly help.

However... eh...

You know, I'm going to stop myself and save the rest of my opinion until later. Let's get a conversation going before any kind of friendly debate starts (if you happen to disagree with me).

I'm a Moderator... still not quite sure what that is...
I have an INFP personality type (in case you were wondering)
Remember The Clone Wars!!! (even though Rebels is great too)
"I concur!" (my semi-official catchphrase)

Last edited by allishmalli on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:46 pm

I'm looking forward to Rogue One. The cast looks amazing, and it's a neat idea. It's also nice to have films in between the trilogy films to satisfy our Star Wars needs.

However, I'm not really sure I want that many spin-off films. I'm definitely not on board with the Han Solo one. The cast short-list they announced the other day leaves much to be desired, and even though I like the directors they have planned, I can't help but worry that today's writers/directors don't understand Han Solo as a character. Everyone glorifies him as some macho loner, but that's not really who he is at all.

I don't know. On the one hand spin-off films could give us some interesting stories, and it will definitely add some flavor as different directors bring their different styles to these characters. But on the other hand, if they keep doing one every other year, we're going to get oversaturated really fast with Star Wars films. The special thing about Star Wars is we have to wait for it. They should at least keep us waiting for movies so the audience doesn't get sick of it.

Overall I guess we'll wait and see.

View user profile http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
Starwarsartist
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Can they maybe scrap the Han Solo film and make an Obi-Wan post-ROTS film instead? Everyone eagerly wants to see this- including Ewan McGregor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:03 pm

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Starwarsartist wrote:
Can they maybe scrap the Han Solo film and make an Obi-Wan post-ROTS film instead? Everyone eagerly wants to see this- including Ewan McGregor.

Duchess Satine Kenobi wrote:

I concur wholeheartedly. I'm not excited at all about the Han Solo film and would much rather have an post-RotS Obi-Wan film.

Duchess Satine Kenobi wrote:
I'm looking forward to Rogue One. The cast looks amazing, and it's a neat idea. It's also nice to have films in between the trilogy films to satisfy our Star Wars needs.

However, I'm not really sure I want that many spin-off films. I'm definitely not on board with the Han Solo one. The cast short-list they announced the other day leaves much to be desired, and even though I like the directors they have planned, I can't help but worry that today's writers/directors don't understand Han Solo as a character. Everyone glorifies him as some macho loner, but that's not really who he is at all.

I don't know. On the one hand spin-off films could give us some interesting stories, and it will definitely add some flavor as different directors bring their different styles to these characters. But on the other hand, if they keep doing one every other year, we're going to get oversaturated really fast with Star Wars films. The special thing about Star Wars is we have to wait for it. They should at least keep us waiting for movies so the audience doesn't get sick of it.

Overall, I guess we'll wait and see.

I pretty much concur with everything you said. I also want to add this food for thought. As the franchise gets bigger with more and more movies, I feel like the Star Wars fan community is going to have a harder time getting people to watch the series (unless if you as a parent are showing the movies to your kids).

Back when we had the EU, there was a definitive line between "casual fan" (the person who just likes the movies and hardly anything else) and "hardcore fan" (the person who likes movies plus all the extra stuff in the EU). Now, the line is being blurred with extra movies coming out as well.

Plus, knowing Disney and what they're doing with the MCU, Disney is most likely going to make these movies necessary to watch in order to understand everything happening in the movies. So, it's going to become harder to get people who didn't grow up watching Star Wars to watch Star Wars since there's going to be 9 episodes and a fair number of spin-off movies. I (personally) can handle that many movies and keeping up with what goes on in each one. But not every can, nor will they want to. And the fact that there will be so many movies to watch will probably keep people away from it all.

Disney needs to take a step back, not get too big a head from the success of TFA and make sure they don't over-saturate their market, don't cannibalize themselves, and don't overwhelmed both the fans and casual movie-goers with a bombardment of movies.

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:39 pm

I completely agree. The market for big-budget sci-fi is going to change very fast in the next few years anyways as it is already getting over-saturated with superheroes (I predict that Batman vs. Superman will bomb epicly and that will be the beginning of the end of that trend. I think Marvel will be ok through the Infinity War movies, but at that point they should turn to television or change their strategy).

Disney can't keep doing what they did with Marvel, or they're gonna burn out their audience real fast. Hopefully they'll take it slow soon. I can't blame them for wanting to get out as many movies as possible, but they should be careful.

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:46 pm

TEASER TRAILER for ROGUE ONE!!!

Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Wow, I'm all pumped up for this movie now! It looks amazing! I'm so excited to see what happens, and to see all these new characters, and to see the Rebel Alliance again, and just everything!!!

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:31 pm

It looks really cool! I love the cinematography! I'm also super excited to see Mon Mothma, and all of the new characters look cool too!

shaak ti
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:08 pm

I completely agree that it's all getting a little over the top... if everything has to tie into everything else it will get chaotic and it'll be difficult for casual fans to get involved. I'm really not on board with that cast for the Han Solo movie and i hope that they seriously re-consider and re cast bc it's painful to look at tbh.

I AM SO STOKED ABOUT MON MOTHMA I DON"T HAVE ENOUGH WORDS but yes Rogue One looks really cool and i'm pretty excited to see a stand-alone Star Wars movie! I expect it to run like a Marvel movie, though, because it'll be hard to keep a consistant "star wars feel" through all of the movies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:40 pm

Oh yeah, the cast for the Han Solo movie right now is concerning, to say the least. Though I do like that Lord and Miller are involved in directing.

I agree, it will be hard to keep that Star Wars feeling and the point of a spinoff, in my opinion, is to play with a different atmosphere anyways.

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Fri May 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Well, they officially cast Han Solo for the new Han Solo origin movie... this is really happening, folks.

I'm still kind of angry about this. I know that once the movie gets closer to release, I probably won't be as angry (kind of like what happened with me and TFA and Rebels), but I really don't think that a Han Solo origin movie is a good idea, especially since they have to recast Harrison Ford and also especially since the guy they picked doesn't even look like Han Solo. Okay, so I know I haven't seen the actual movie (so I don't know how well he acts), buy why couldn't they have casted Anthony Ingruber from Age of Adaline! He was playing a younger version of a character Harrison Ford was playing and, at least from the trailer, he actually looked pretty similar to Harrison Ford!!! Okay, maybe not scarily similar, but more similar than Alden Ehrenreich, in my opinion.

*Sigh* I don't know. I don't like the idea of recasting Han Solo for a movie that I don't particularly want. You can't replace Harrison Ford. You want to know what a bigger slap in the face about recasting him is? Over in the Indiana Jones department, they've said that they will never recast Harrison Ford for Indiana Jones... then why the heck are you recasting Harrison Ford for Han Solo!?

I don't know how popular these new Star Wars books they're coming out with are, but I'd rather read a book about his origin story rather than see a movie about it with another actor. At least with the audiobook version, whoever's reading would try their hardest to sound like a young Harrison Ford...

Sorry for the rant. It's over now.

How do y'all feel about this?

Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:27 pm

So, have y'all been hearing about Rogue One having to reshoot a considerable amount of the movie? Apparently, the current rumor is that about 40% of the movie needs to be re-shot. 40%!?

On one hand, this is troubling, very troubling. Again, 40%... that almost half the entire movie! And the movie is supposed to come out in less than 200 days (195 days as of right now)?! What the heck happened? I've heard criticisms about the director, Gareth Edwards, over the past couple of days since he directed the most recent Godzilla film. People are saying that Godzilla was a bad movie and that Gareth Edwards was a bad director choice. I never saw Godzilla, so I don't have an opinion on that particular criticism, but if they're having to reshoot almost half the movie this late in the game, I'm starting to agree that Gareth Edwards was probably not a good choice. Unless if he and his team can miraculously pull it off, I have a feeling that all these problems the movie is currently having are going to show when the movie comes out. I think Disney is now going to realize that they're bitting off more than they can chew (maybe they'll put a halt on the Han Solo movie).

On the other hand, it's kind of reassuring that Disney is trying to do right by Star Wars. Instead of leaving what could possibly be a bad movie alone since it's so close to the release date, they're trying their best to fix it.

Hearing all of this reminds me of some of the facts about Toy Story 2 I learned. Apparently, Ash Brannon and Lee Unkrich (guys who worked on the first film) were hired to direct Toy Story 2, but when John Lasseter came back from his promo tour for A Bug's Life, he really didn't like what they did. So he, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Joe Ranft, and some Disney people rewrote the entire story in one weekend. Then John Lasseter stepped in to help Ash Brannon and Lee Unkrich as co-director. But they had to complete the film in only 9 months, so they had to go into overdrive mode and work practically non-stop to get the movie done on time, which they did (yay).

If reshooting the movie means we get a better movie, then I'm happy, thought slightly worried on their behalf to get it done on time.

If this just means that Rogue One is going to have more problems, then I'm concerned. Really concerned.

On a lighter note, I heard that Rogue One is supposed to end only 10 minutes before A New Hope begins. Wow! That's cool!

EDIT (A few hours later): I found an article just now about the whole thing: http://moviepilot.com/posts/3950977?utm_source=fb-channel-superheroes&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=insiders-reveal-what-s-really-going-on-with-rogue-one-reshoots

So, the reshoots aren't as bad as I thought they were. I'm no longer concerned.

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:10 pm

I heard about the reshoots, but at this point I'm not concerned. On a podcast I listen to, GeekScholars Movie News, they talked about this and speculated that Disney probably purposely built time into the schedule for possible reshoots (we do still have half a year until the movie comes out). Disney has so many resources they probably just want their movie to be as good as possible and they know they have the extra time to make it happen.

I'm not really sure how to feel about Gareth Edwards, to be honest. Godzilla was mediocre, but I blame the writing that focused too much on boring characters rather than the directing. I feel like he did the best he could with what he was given. So I guess we'll wait and see for Rogue One.

The Han Solo film, on the other hand, I am not excited about. I agree with what you said about it. It just feels unnecessary.

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:25 pm

Woah! Look what I just found!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/22/star-wars-rogue-one-forest-whitaker-character

That's so cool that they're tying TCW into the movies this way (even though this character was just in one arc)!

Hmm... makes me wonder if they're planning on someone else being in this movie too... someone they're keeping under huge raps in order to make sure the news doesn't get out... *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:51 am

I'm so excited the movies are going to incorporate characters from the Clone Wars! It's literally a dream come true!

And I've been wondering that too, Alli. Wink As much as I'd love for it to happen, though, I'm not going to get my hopes up right now, but this could easily be a gateway. Even if she isn't in this movie, it's definitely possible for her to be in another one.

Also I find it interesting that Darth Vader is going to be in the movie.

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:19 am

We have a behind-the-scenes trailer of Rogue One!

Okay, this is pretty cool! I'm getting a vibe that this is kind of a copy trailer of the behind-the-scenes trailer for TFA. You know, the trailer that shows that everyone is just excited to be working on a Star Wars movie and it's like a dream come true and such. I don't think it's a bad thing, but I was kinda hoping for an actual trailer...

Eh, but it's still cool. What do y'all think?

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Basically everything you said. It's cool, but I'm ready for a real trailer. Even though I do love seeing behind the scenes stuff.

Also this doesn't have to do with Rogue One, but Daisy Ridley posted on Facebook that she wrapped filming for episode VIII this week; has the whole film wrapped, or just her scenes?

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Whoa, I didn't mean for it to get that big...

Um... anyways... NEW POSTER!!!

Back to top Go down
Starwarsartist
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:30 am

Okay ngl, I'm not that excited about this film but the posters are cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:15 am

We've got ourselves a new trailer

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:26 pm

Cool stuff! I can't really say I'm excited for this film either, but I am expecting to be pleasantly surprised. It just seems... cool. Which I'm totally fine with Wink

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:48 pm

So, I saw Rogue One last night!

I'm not ready to give a full "review", but here's generally what I thought of it:

I thought it was REALLY GOOD!!! I came out of the theater with a big smile on my face, and I can't wait to see it again.

If this is the standard for future spin-off films, then I'm not opposed to having them (even if I do think a Han Solo film is not a good idea).

What did y'all think?

Back to top Go down
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 am

Where do I start?!  I was originally excited about Rogue One, but not really expecting a whole lot, I guess.  I ended up LOVING this film so much.  It was such a beautifully done movie in regards to characters, locations, shots, music, everything.  I was smiling real big and literally shaking when I left- it was so good!  Definitely my favorite movie I've seen this year.

I'll put a few more thoughts under spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler:

I could say so much more on Rogue One, but I guess I'll save it for later Smile

Not sure how to feel about the Han Solo film. I guess I'll make a judgement call when I see it.

now I'm sitting here feeling kinda awkward, it's been 2 years since I last posted and I just kinda jumped out of the void to post this with no reintroduction, haha!   But I missed y'all and hope to be around here more often now!

~Rachel/Cerasi Skywalker
Princess of the One True King, Friendly Neighborhood TLF Mod, Queen of Wolves, Allyran Elf, Owl Citizen, Dakota's biggest fan, Narnian, Jedi Knight,  Anakin's younger sister, Graphic Designer, Artist, Photographer, Dreamer. <3

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.rachel365photo.blogspot.com
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:06 pm

Rachel-is-a-Jedi wrote:
now I'm sitting here feeling kinda awkward, it's been 2 years since I last posted and I just kinda jumped out of the void to post this with no reintroduction, haha!   But I missed y'all and hope to be around here more often now!

It's okay. We're always glad to have people back, especially after so long. Rogue One is a good movie to get you back on here again.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films   

Back to top Go down

'Star Wars: Rogue One' and other spinoff films
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next