AuthorMessage
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:13 pm

First Draft!

‘Frozen’ kicks ice!
By Allishmalli, Editorial Editor

When I first saw the teaser trailer for Frozen, I thought that it was going to be the stupidest animated movie this year and I told myself that I was not going to go see it. When my cousin told me that critics thought it was the best movie since Beauty and the Beast, I became a bit optimistic about it. My mind wasn’t totally changed and I was still skeptical about it. Boy, was I wrong!
   Frozen is an animated musical that’s loosely (I say that with emphasis) based off of The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson. It’s about Anna and Elsa, the princesses of Arendelle. Elsa has the power to make snow and ice appear, but she’s afraid to use it because she’s afraid of the judgment of the kingdom and afraid that she might hurt people (more specifically Anna) since her powers are growing stronger and more uncontrollable. After her coronation, Elsa’s powers are accidentally exposed to the public and she runs away, accidentally freezing the whole kingdom. Anna then goes out to find her sister so that Elsa can thaw the kingdom. Along the way, she meets a mountain man named Kristoff, his reindeer Sven, and a talking snowman named Olaf.
   It’s very refreshing and rewarding to finally see a Disney animated feature film that focuses on the relationship between sisters instead of romantic relationships, friendships, or parent-offspring relationships. Sure, there are romantic relationships and friendships in the film, but that’s not the heart of the film. The heart of the film is the relationship between Anna and Elsa, which is very interesting, a bit complex, and powerful.
   The movie has a great cast of characters that are all really likeable, colorful, and complex. Anna is optimistic, eccentric, fun loving, and likable. Elsa, the most complex character in the film, is interesting, complex, and you feel a lot of empathy for her. Kristoff is snarky but likable and his relationship with his reindeer Sven is fun to watch. Olaf (who I thought was going to be really annoying) is actually funny, especially when he sings his naïve song about what it would be like for him in summer.
   The animation, as you might have already heard, is amazing. It’s the best computer animation that Disney (not Pixar) has ever come out with. The character animation is really good and really creative with the non-human characters, the character designs are good, and the backgrounds and special effects are gorgeous! The ice effects are untouchable and they really shine during the song “Let it Go” when Elsa is building her ice castle.
   Unlike Tangled (which had a more contemporary soundtrack), Frozen’s soundtrack goes back to the Broadway style like the Disney movies from the 90s. The songs are memorable and, with time, will probably become classic Disney songs that everyone knows. They are really fun, nicely written, and easy to sing to. The best song and most powerful song, in most people’s opinion, is “Let it Go,” sung by Elsa when she’s building her ice castle. It offers both a really good, enjoyable song and amazing visuals to go with it.
   Now on to the criticism… one thing that might turn people off is that the plot twists are kinda easy to figure out beforehand. It’s not done bad (I actually didn’t figure out one of the plot twists and was very surprised), it’s just a bit predictable. Another thing I didn’t really like was the fact that there was about only one song in the second half of the movie and about three songs were crammed into the first 30 minutes. I would have liked at least one or two more near the end. Also, at the very beginning and end of the movie, the score almost sounds African like in The Lion King, which is odd since the movie is set in Northern Europe. For me personally, I prefer traditional hand-drawn animation to computer animation (unless if it’s Pixar), so I would have liked this better if it was in traditional animation (but with the same quality of special effects as the actual movie). But, I can see why it might not have worked in traditional animation and the animation was still really good in computer animation, so I’m still happy.
   As to the question of whether this movie is the best movie since Beauty and the Beast, I agree and disagree. I really love all of the Disney movies from the 90s (especially The Lion King), so I don’t think that it’s the best Disney movie since Beauty and the Beast. I do think Frozen is the best Disney animated movie I have seen in the past decade and I think that it’s as good as Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King in both quality and likability (if you take out the nostalgic factor of those movies). This movie will probably (and deserves to) win at least one Oscar, multiple Annie Awards, and become a Disney Classic for the ages to come.

I give Frozen 4.5 out of 5 paws (which is technically a 9 out of 10)

I'm a Moderator... still not quite sure what that is...
I have an INFP personality type (in case you were wondering)
Remember The Clone Wars!!! (even though Rebels is great too)
"I concur!" (my semi-official catchphrase)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://allisonspears.weebly.com
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:43 am

thank you so much for posting your review allishmalli I have heard that it was a good movie but wasn't to sure about it I was going to see it maybe only because working at Disney I try to keep up with the latest movies so I am a well informed cast member Very Happy but reading your review it definitely sounds like a movie I would enjoy seeing. I am especially excited to hear that it focuses on sisters relationship I like that and seems like a good movie I can share with my sister. I definitely will make plans to see this thanks for helping me decide with your review Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Your welcome! I hope you and your sister enjoy this movie!

Wow... I can't believe my review influenced your decision to see this movie... most of the people I talk to about it already want to see this movie anyway... wow...

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Outstanding review!!! Very Happy I completely agree with what you said about the relationship between the sisters! You did a great job summarizing and discussing the positive and negative of the film!

View user profile http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
shaak ti
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:09 am

Great review! Like DSK said, you totally balanced the pros/cons without sounding too biased.

I have one suggestion, though. When you say "Elsa, the most complex character in the film, is interesting, complex, and you feel a lot of empathy for her.", I feel that the second "complex" sounds a little redundant, because you have already mentioned that she is a complex character.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for pointing that out! Now I can go back and change it so it won't look stupid when it comes out.

Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:59 am

I really liked Frozen! Your review looks great, Alli! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.amaranthineforever.blogspot.com
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:33 pm

I know I didn't change too much, but here's the final draft of the review.

‘Frozen’ kicks ice!
By Allishmalli, Editorial Editor

When I first saw the teaser trailer for Frozen, I thought that it was going to be the stupidest animated movie this year and I told myself that I was not going to go see it. When my cousin told me the critics thought it was the best movie since Beauty and the Beast, I became a bit optimistic about it. My mind wasn’t totally changed and I was still skeptical about it. Boy, was I wrong!
   Frozen is an animated musical about Anna and Elsa, the princesses of Arendelle. Elsa, the eldest sister and next in line for the throne, was born with the power to conjure snow and ice. When she and Anna were little, Elsa accidentally hurt Anna while playing with her magic powers. Determined to never hurt Anna again and to gain control of her powers, Elsa isolated herself (physically and emotionally) from Anna and everyone else. But years later, on the night of her coronation, Elsa’s powers are accidentally exposed to the public. Not wanting to hurt anyone and in order to escape being called a monster, she runs away to isolate herself. But, this accidentally freezes the whole kingdom. So, it’s up to Anna to go find Elsa so that she can thaw the kingdom.
   The movie has a great cast of characters. Anna is optimistic, eccentric, fun loving, and likable. Elsa is interesting, complex, and you feel a lot of empathy for her. Kristoff, the mountain man who helps Anna search for Elsa, is snarky but likable and his relationship with his reindeer Sven is fun to watch. Honestly, I thought Olaf, the talking snowman, was going to be the most annoying character, but I actually liked him. He is cheerful, happy, and actually funny, especially when he sings his little naïve song about what it would be like for him in summer when it’s hot.
   The animation, as you might have already heard, is amazing. It’s the best computer animation that Disney (not Pixar) has ever come out with. The character animation is really good and really creative with the non-human characters, the character designs are good, and the backgrounds and special effects are gorgeous! The ice effects are untouchable and they really shine during the song “Let it Go” when Elsa is building her ice castle.
   Frozen’s soundtrack goes back to the Broadway style, like the Disney movies from the ’90s. The songs are memorable and, with time, several of them could become classic Disney songs that everyone knows. They are really fun, nicely written, and easy to sing to. The best song is “Let it Go.” It offers both a really good, enjoyable song and amazing visuals to go with it.
   One thing that might turn people off is that the plot twists are a bit predictable. Another thing I didn’t really like was the fact that there was about only one song in the second half of the movie, while three songs were crammed into the first 30 minutes. I would have liked at least one or two more near the end. For me personally, I prefer traditional hand-drawn animation to computer animation (unless if it’s Pixar), so I would have liked this better if it was in traditional animation. But, I can see why it might not have worked in traditional animation and the computer animation was still really good, so I’m still happy.
   It’s very refreshing and rewarding to finally see a Disney animated feature film that focuses on the relationship between sisters instead of romantic relationships, friendships, or parent-offspring relationships. Sure, there are romantic relationships and friendships in the film, but that’s not the heart of the film. The heart of the film is the sisterly love between Anna and Elsa, which is very interesting and powerful to watch.
   As to the question of whether this movie is the best movie since Beauty and the Beast, I agree and disagree. I have grown up with and love all of the Disney movies from the ‘90s (especially The Lion King), so it’s hard for me to say that it’s the best Disney movie since Beauty and the Beast. I do think Frozen is the best computer animated Disney film yet and if you take out the emotional bias of Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King, I think it’s as good as those movies. This movie will probably (and deserves to) win at least one Oscar, multiple Annie Awards, and become a Disney Classic for the ages to come. I suggest you should go see it as soon as you can.

I give Frozen 4.5 out of 5 paws.

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Great! I like the changes you made!

What was everyone's favorite song? I really liked "Let It Go", though all of the songs were great.

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm pretty sure that most people's favorite song was "Let It Go". I liked all of them too

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Thu May 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Words cannot express how excited I am for this movie. I mean, Marvel and Disney, in one movie? It's like everything perfect in the world combined in one amazing package. bounce

Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Sat May 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Oh wow, I hadn't even heard of Big Hero 6 yet, but judging from the trailer it looks amazing! Very Happy

~Rachel/Cerasi Skywalker
Princess of the One True King, Friendly Neighborhood TLF Mod, Queen of Wolves, Allyran Elf, Owl Citizen, Dakota's biggest fan, Narnian, Jedi Knight,  Anakin's younger sister, Graphic Designer, Artist, Photographer, Dreamer. <3

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.rachel365photo.blogspot.com
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Ok ok ok I'm sorry to annoy everyone on here but for the next few months I am going to be fangirling pretty hard over Big Hero 6. Yeah, it hasn't even come out yet, but I'm already a fan! The character designs just came out, and I am really liking what I'm seeing!

Here are the characters if anyone is interested!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/13/big-hero-6-character-reveal-exclusive/12535005/

Also a trailer comes out on Tuesday  bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Last edited by DuchessSatineKenobi on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:25 pm

I found a video-version of that article AND the official trailer for Big Hero 6!!!

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Yay!!!! Very Happy I'm so excited for this movie!

I wish the trailers would show more of the other super heroes, though. They all look so cool and I want to see more of them. But it still looks like a super cute, awesome movie! I can't wait! Very Happy

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Maybe "Official Trailer #2" (if there is one) will show the other heroes. Even if they don't, I'm excited about this movie!

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Yeah, I bet the second trailer will! I'm glad someone else is excited about it too! Very Happy

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm also very curious about "Into the Woods", which is coming out Christmas Day!

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:04 pm

That looks very interesting!

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:05 am

Here's the Japanese trailer for Big Hero 6! It doesn't show the other members, but at least we get new footage (sorry, it is in Japanese, so I have no idea what they're saying).

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for posting that! Baymax hugging Hiro is so cute XD I'm also interested into how the brother plays into everything!

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey what do y'all think about the new Lion King show Disney is making?

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2014/06/10/be-prepared-for-the-lion-guard/

I just hope that even though it's gonna be on Disney Junior, I hope it'll be made for all ages so that even I could watch and (hopefully) enjoy it, especially without feeling guilty for watching a Disney Junior show.

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:27 pm

That sounds cute! I'll probably end up watching it with the 5 year old I babysit. She loves Disney Junior, and this looks like something she will enjoy Smile I agree with you that I hope it is something older people can enjoy as well Smile

Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Check this out! It's an animation that some Disney animators are trying to make. It focuses on two heroines in a steampunk setting. It looks and sounds amazing! I really hope that this can be turned into a movie!

http://www.rotoscopers.com/2014/09/01/disney-veterans-gather-to-save-2d-animation-from-extinction-with-hullabaloo/

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disney!!!!!!!   

Back to top Go down

Disney!!!!!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next