Movie Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
shaak ti
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm glad you liked it! I went to see it yesterday with my performing arts group (we did ITW last year Smile ) we were all dramatically mouthing the words to each other in the back of the theater xD

It was kind of long, but they cut a whole lot out, only leaving the major plot in (which i guess is what generally happens in musical to movie conversion)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks! Haha, sounds fun!

Yeah I read the plot of the musical online and I was surprised by how much was left out. Now I actually think it would have been nice if they had included a little more and gone darker like the play.

View user profile http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:58 pm

I saw The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies and loved it! Very Happy Definitely my favorite movie of the year! Very Happy
I also saw Into the Woods, which was good, but not as good as the original Broadway version(it was fun, though, since I was Jack's Mother in a children's theater version of the musical).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://writing-reading-acting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=20
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Okay, here are my thoughts from the past couple of movies I've seen recently:

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - I really liked this movie! I know that people speculate that since it has hardly any action, then that why some people don't like it and why it's suffering at the box office. I can see that being a problem, but I actually like the direction this movie took, making it more political and interesting than if there was just another arena.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - I thought this movie was also really good. I am one of those people who agrees that the book needed more than just one movie to tell it's story, even though some elements, while entertaining, were a bit unnecessary. I liked the characters they focused on, although I wish that all three movies focused on a few more of the dwarves. I thought the battle scenes were cool (until some of the stunts got ridiculously silly) and the character progression of Thorin was interesting. And just seeing everything come full circle was nice. However, as a whole, I like the LOTR trilogy better than The Hobbit trilogy. There was a lot more emotion and weight to the first one and the stakes were higher. Sure, The Hobbit trilogy was good, but I like LOTR better.

Into the Woods - I went into this movie with fresh eyes, and I really liked it! I liked the songs, I liked how the fairy tales were woven in together (I am, after all, a OUAT fan) and I liked the main characters. Good musical in my eyes!

Big Hero 6 - I finally got to see this movie a few hours ago! It was... good! A good marriage between Marvel and Disney! I liked the main characters (I want a Baymax now), I liked the way it all looked and I liked the emotional/heart-felt moments. My only complaints are that it was a bit predictable and there wasn't much focus on the team, just Hiro and Baymax. If they don't end up making a sequel and if they can pull it off right, I'm hoping they'll do a spin-off TV series (maybe 2D like Spider-Man and GOTG or possibly 3D like Rebels).

I'm a Moderator... still not quite sure what that is...
I have an INFP personality type (in case you were wondering)
Remember The Clone Wars!!! (even though Rebels is great too)
"I concur!" (my semi-official catchphrase)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:57 pm

I enjoy seeing you guys' thoughts on movies that you've seen!

I liked the movie version of Into the Woods, but you guys are making me want to see the Broadway version as well! It sounds very interesting.

Alli, I love the idea of a spin-off Big Hero 6 tv show! That would be really cool if done right! I'd love to revisit those characters and get to learn more about the background characters and the city of San Fransokyo.

I saw one more movie before Christmas break ended -- Annie. It was . . . eh. I can't really hate it because it's pretty innocent and it is a movie for kids (the kids in the audience seemed to love it), but there was really nothing special about it. The songs were ok, and the story was pretty much the same but in modern day, which is fine, but the whole thing just felt bland. I've only seen the original once so I'm not overly attached to that one either, but what I do remember standing out about that one was how bright and glamorous it seemed. It was very broadway-ish and even a bit over the top at times, but in a good way. Like I said, I'm not overly attached to it, but the whole atmosphere was still so much brighter and more memorable. The new Annie, while harmless, is pretty bland and forgettable.

Did you guys have a favorite movie of 2014?

My favorite would actually have to be The Lego Movie. There were a lot of movies I loved in 2014, but the Lego Movie takes my number one spot because it surprised me. My other top choices were movies I was already expecting to be good. For the Lego Movie I had low expectations, and so it made it even better when it turned out to be an excellent movie.

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:23 pm

While it'd be too hard for me to make a Top 10 list, I think that Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier is my favorite.

Fun Fact: I have seen 19 movies that came out in 2014 (I counted).

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:42 pm

That was a good one! It takes my second spot.

Wow, that's a lot of movies! I counted up mine and I have seen 22. There are still a few more I would like to watch that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Starwarsartist
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:04 pm

The Winter Soldier was my favourite, too. I also loved Guardians of the Galaxy, How to Train Your Dragon 2, X-Men Days of Future Past, The Fault in Our Stars, Big Hero 6, the Lego Movie and Maleficent, in that order. Pretty much all the movies I saw in 2014 were really good. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:07 pm

This is going to be such a huge year for movies! New Avengers movie, new Star Wars movie, and a whole lot of other big movies! It's so exciting! Very Happy

Is anyone keeping up with the Academy Awards? I will be this year, which is the first year I've done so. Out of the movies nominated for best picture so far I have only seen American Sniper, but I plan on watching most of them since most of them sound good.

I'm also severely disappointed that the Lego Movie got snubbed from the Best Animated Movie category. It deserved at least a nomination. I'm kind of surprised because honestly I thought it would win. Now I think the winner will be How to Train Your Dragon 2 since it won at the Golden Globes, but Big Hero 6 might win here. Both were great movies and I will be happy for whoever wins Smile

Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 pm

I saw the Imitation Game a while ago, which was really good! It was kind of sad, but a very good story. It was also very interesting. All of the acting was fantastic! Benedict Cumberbatch did great, but I was also very impressed with Kiera Knightly. I loved her character! Smile

I've been recording some movies from Turner recently. Over the weekend I watched Poltergeist with my brother and my dad. It was so good! It was a very fun movie!

I think my brother and I are going to see Kingsman pretty soon. It's hard to make it to the movies this time of year because it's so busy and it feels like not much good is showing. I'm so sick of hearing about fifty shades of garbage Razz

Are there any movies you guys plan on seeing soon?

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:46 am

Duchess Satine Kenobi wrote:
Are there any movies you guys plan on seeing soon?

Unfortunately, no. I want to go see Kingsman, maybe Paddington, or maybe some of the Oscar noms that I keep hearing about all the time. But, with me at school and without a car, I don't have the ability to. So, Netflix will have to do for now.

I will definitely go see Insurgent and the live-action Cinderella with my mom in March though, but that'll probably be in the middle of March when it's Spring Break.

I'm so sick of hearing about fifty shades of garbage

Yeah, me too. I do like hearing all the backlash its getting. Rotten Tomatoes even gave it 25% (which is pretty bad). But even that gets annoying and tiring when that's all you end up seeing online. Nevertheless, it truly is 50 Shades of Guano (I don't even have to see it to know it's true).

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Sorry about no car! I bet you can find some good movies on Netflix, though! I've actually been watching Turner Classic Movies lately and I found some really good ones.

Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:34 pm

I went to see Kingsman with my brother over the weekend. We both really enjoyed it! It was just an all around fun movie. A word of warning, though, if violence makes you squeamish then this isn't the movie for you.

In honor of Oscars night I also watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, which I loved. It was a very fun movie and was beautifully filmed.

I plan on watching Birdman soon.

Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:41 pm

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey a while back and loved it. It's pretty out there, but personally I kind of like that sort of thing. It's a movie I know will stay with me and that I can keep going back to and thinking about for years.

Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Wed May 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Summer movie season has begun!

My family kicked things off with Avengers!

Then I went to see the new Mad Max over the weekend, which was amazing. I haven't seen any of the old ones, but now I need to! Just the way this movie was filmed was incredible, but I loved the setting and the characters and the action.

What movies do you guys plan on seeing this summer?

I want to see Tomorrowland, the new Poltergeist, Jurassic World, Inside Out, Ant-Man, and probably lots of others I just can't remember at the moment XD

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Tue May 26, 2015 8:05 pm

Calling Jonny Quest fans (which seems to be only about 2 or 3 people on here...)!!! Jonny Quest... after all these years... is finally getting a movie!!!! Yay!!!

http://www.eonline.com/news/660272/robert-rodriguez-to-direct-live-action-jonny-quest-movie

Sort of off-subject (well... off subject if you didn't read the article and therefore don't know who's directing this): Something funny about this is that this announcement was made the same day that the NC posted his review of SharkBoy and LavaGirl... Coincidence? I think NOT!!! (It probably is though)

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Tue May 26, 2015 8:40 pm

How cool! I've never seen Johnny Quest but if I like the commercials I'll give the movie a go.

Haha, that's funny! I was so thrilled that he reviewed Sharkboy and Lavagirl! XD

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Tue May 26, 2015 9:29 pm

How cool! I've never seen Jonny Quest but if I like the commercials I'll give the movie a go.

Haha, that's funny! I was so thrilled that he reviewed Sharkboy and Lavagirl! XD
I'd check it out if I were you. Jonny Quest (the original 1964 cartoon) is a really good, classic cartoon that was actually quite revolutionary in the field of animation (first fully-animated realistic-looking cartoon/animated series that was also in primetime). Even if you can't get ahold of it, I'd suggest that you watch a fan-made documentary someone made a couple of years ago.

I haven't seen much of the 1980s and 1990s Jonny Quest (just clips mostly), so I can't give you any opinion on that.

I actually remember liking SharkBoy and LavaGirl after it first came out (I didn't see it in theaters though) and I have a bit of nostalgia (haha) towards it, but I found this review hilarious as well as now being able to see the problems with it.

I really hope that Robert Rodriguez is a fan of Jonny Quest. I feel like he'd do a better job (than a director with little to no knowledge of the property and is doing is as a corporate mandate just to get a paycheck or something) if he was a fan of Jonny Quest so he'd put his all into it. I really want this to be like the next Spy Kids (or even better than Spy Kids) so this doesn't turn into a cruddy kids movie based on a cartoon, like so many movies-based-on-a-cartoon before it and probably after.

Back to top Go down
GeneralSnips

Location : Patrolling on the roofs of Coruscant with Robin finding clues to put Palps in jail

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Wed May 27, 2015 7:37 am

That's so awesome!!! I used to watch Jonny Quest when I was little on the Boomerang cartoon channel Smile I hope they do a good job on this and make it to the standards of the show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sun May 31, 2015 6:17 pm

It sounds like a show I would like! I love the older Scooby-Doo and Marvel cartoons, and this sounds like something right up my alley. I'll look into it!

Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:50 pm

Are there any movies (besides The Force Awakens) that you guys are looking forward to this year?

I feel like August/September is always the worst for movies. Nothing is showing right now that I'm interested in. I'm going to look into the Visit, though. I hear some good buzz on it, but I'm still a bit tentative knowing Shyamalan. They say this may be a comeback for him. They've said that about his last 5 movies, but still. I actually do believe he is capable of a comeback. The Sixth Sense is one of my favorite movies ever, and even though he's also responsible for several of my least favorite movies ever, I believe he is still capable of making good things.

I'll probably also see The Martian, which looks interesting. But really what I'm most excited for is Crimson Peak. Del Toro + Tom Hiddleston + haunted houses. Sign me up. bounce

In November I definitely want to see The Good Dinosaur. Smile Then The Force Awakens in December, of course, and after that I'm looking forward to The Hateful Eight.

There may be others I've forgotten, but those are the ones I'm most excited for.

Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:42 am

So how has the fall movie season been for all of you?

I was actually really pleased with The Visit. It had just the right balance of comedy and scares and is a good comeback for Shyamalan. Now let's just hope that this will finally be the end of his bad streak.

The Martian was really good as well. Very funny and interesting. And nice visuals!

So this week I was lucky enough to see a screening of Heart Like a Hand Grenade, which is a documentary about Green Day during the recording of American Idiot. It was amazing! It really just let you get personal with the band, and there was also all of the awesome music Very Happy My favorite part, though, was when they explained that while American Idiot does have political messages, the band's purpose was for it to go beyond just politics, because, like they said, we're all the American Idiot and it's an album for and about all of us Smile

So after that I was also lucky enough to see Crimson Peak in imax! And I'm happy to say it totally lived up to my expectations. It's more of a romance/suspense than straight up horror, but it does all of those things well, and the visuals are absolutely GORGEOUS. Definitely worth seeing in imax!

Then I finished off the weekend with Goosebumps and Bridge of Spies, both of which I didn't expect to see but enjoyed more than I thought I would.

What movies have you guys seen recently?

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:38 am

Despite what I wanted, I haven't seen hardly any movies in theaters recently. I wanted to see so many different movies this fall, but I never got to go. I will get to go to see The Peanuts Movie with my mom in November, I hope I'll get to see The Good Dinosaur, and I better get to go see TFA in December!

Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:02 pm

I know the feeling. It's hard to find time (or money) sometimes to go to the movies. As a film major I just push myself to go to the theater more (well that and I'm also a huge procrastinator when it comes to finding the time to rent movies).

I want to see all of those too!

allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:23 pm

I saw SPECTRE (newest James Bond film) on Friday.

I liked it... not sure where it stands on my favorite Bond films list, but I liked it.

My biggest takeaway from this film is how beautiful this movie looks... oh man, this film looks amazing!!! Between this film, what I've seen in the Mad Max: Fury Road trailers and what I've seen in the SW: TFA trailers, 2015 has some of the best-looking/best-shot films I've seen (at least since I've started paying more attention to cinematography and direction in movies). I SOOoooo want to go to the places they filmed; they all look SOOOooo beautiful!!!

The other stuff was fine. It's still modern while having several throw-back elements from the classic Bond films. Daniel Craig is still a good Bond (in my opinion), though I can totally see from the ending of this film that it's highly probable that this was his last film and they're going to try and recast for the next one.

Like a lot of other people have said, the weakest part of the film is the villain. They build him up a lot, but he's only in the film for a few scenes and isn't what he should've been. Oh, that and I'm not particularly fond of the opening song. It's a nice song and all, but it's not James Bond-y enough for me, especially as a follow-up to Skyfall (for me, Adele beats Sam Smith any day).

Overall, good Bond film.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion Thread   

Back to top Go down

Movie Discussion Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next