Share | 

Newspaper Article

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Newspaper Article   Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Hey, y'all! Sorry this isn't a fan-fiction, but I need help on this. I'm writing an editorial about this whole "new trilogy" thing for my school newspaper. Could you do me a HUGE favor and peer-review it for me? If you decide to comment, your comments need to be based on grammar, sentence structure (like if a sentence looks weird to you), spelling, content (like if you see something that isn't accurate), questions, other things (like if I need to add or take away something), and if it's good or not. I will just say that I've been having a bit of trouble on the last paragraph (esp. the last sentence) and I would like some help if you can provide comments or suggestions.

‘I have a bad feeling about this’
By: Allishmalli (I had to change it from my real name for TLF)

On Oct. 30, 2012, the Walt Disney Company bought the famous movie-making company Lucasfilm Ldt. for $4.05 billion. On the same day, Disney and the co-chairman of Lucasfilm announced that they are in the process of making another Star Wars movie trilogy with Episode VII releasing in 2015. Although Star Wars creator George Lucas will be supervising the project, making another trilogy to this legendary movie saga is a serious mistake.

Some Star Wars fans are optimistic, even excited about this new chapter in this epic saga. However, many fans are horrified for many different reasons.

One reason is that Disney is making this new trilogy and not Lucas himself. Although Disney has been successful with other companies they have purchased (e.g. Marvel, Pixar, etc.) and Lucas is supervising the production, some fans feel that Disney, even with Lucas’ help, is not capable of successfully making another legendary trilogy and will ruin the saga by trying. Some fans of the Original Trilogy even think that George Lucas ruined Star Wars by making the Prequel Trilogy and the computer-animated movie and TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

A more important reason is something called the Expanded Universe (a.k.a. the EU). The EU, basically, is all of the Star Wars related books, comic books, video games, spin-off films, TV series, toys, and other media that are officially licensed by Lucasfilm. The EU mainly tells the stories that happen outside the films, ranging from over 36,000 years before Episode I to 134 years after Episode VI (and everything in between). Everything in the EU (including all of the new characters, stories, etc.) is considered to be “canon” (the term used to describe everything officially and credibly part of the whole Star Wars storyline). Fans of the EU are upset because a new trilogy of movies means that if they write an original story, possibly everything that occurs in the EU after Episode VI is no longer canon. If the new trilogy tries to follow some of the EU stories, other EU fans will think that Disney ruined those stories. Also, fans that don’t like the EU will feel that Disney ruined Star Wars by making the EU officially a part of the Star Wars saga.

There is one final reason on why fans are upset. Many fans are happy with just two trilogies and they just simply don’t want another one. The Star Wars Saga, according to George Lucas, is really the story of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader (even though the Original Trilogy seems more about Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, and others). In Episode VI, Anakin/Darth Vader turned good again, fulfilled his destiny as “The Chosen One,” and died, ending the story of Anakin’s journey from good to bad to good again. By doing all of this, he ended the Galactic Civil War, the main conflict the started in the Prequel Trilogy and went on in the Original Trilogy. Therefore, Episode VI ends the whole Star Wars story perfectly with no need for more movies. To some fans, making another trilogy seems pointless.

It may be true that when Episode VII comes out, there will be a large box-office turnout and new fans will emerge from it. However, the fact is that many fans will hate this new trilogy, regardless of how good it is. Also, if this new trilogy does not live up to the legendary original and prequel trilogies, there will be a major loss of Star Wars fans. If they decide to go through with this new project, Disney and Lucas will find out the hard way that keeping the loyal fans you have with only six movies is better than loosing most of them with nine.

Your comments will be very appreciated! Thanks!

I'm a Moderator... still not quite sure what that is...
I have an INFP personality type (in case you were wondering)
Remember The Clone Wars!!! (even though Rebels is great too)
"I concur!" (my semi-official catchphrase)

Last edited by allishmalli on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Cia Klivian

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper Article   Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Looks perfect to me! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.anautumnday.blogspot.com
GeneralSnips

Location : Patrolling on the roofs of Coruscant with Robin finding clues to put Palps in jail

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper Article   Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:15 pm

You did really good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper Article   Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Great job, Allishmalli! You summed it up perfectly Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.amaranthineforever.blogspot.com
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper Article   Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Aw, thanks y'all! I let my teacher read it and she really liked it even though she's not a Star Wars fan. Also, the guy who's writing the other side (on why it's a good thing) thought mine was really good too! I wrote another editorial a while back (about politics, so I'm not posting) and a lot of people really liked it even if they didn't agree with my viewpoint. I think if I keep doing editorials, I'll be the Queen of Editorials!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper Article   Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I agreed with every point you said in it!! Very nice and well done!!
Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper Article   Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Hmm... does the fact that I'm now actually really excited for the next Star Wars movie make me a hypocrite? I feel like I am...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper Article   

Back to top Go down

Newspaper Article
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Fan Community :: Fanfiction-
Jump to: