Share | 

Church!!!! :D

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Church!!!! :D   Sun May 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi, I thought I'd start this church topic! I know some of you are still looking for good churches and don't have a permanant church home, but I thought this could be a fun place to discuss what we did, etc.

Our church campus is a temporary location, and we usually have people with trailers to help set up! But today there was a mix up so we had no equipment and literally just empty rooms(well with whiteboards and carpet and some chairs and stuff since it's a school)
It was fun though! When me and two other classroom helpers my age were playing hangman on the whiteboard, one of the girls was like, let's do points! I thought we would do like, boys versus girls, but he made two columns and on one side wrote "Kids" and on the other wrote "Adults". It took me a second to figure out who she was referring to since none of the adult leaders were playing. O_o I DON'T WANT TO BE AN ADULT WAHHH XD

The other week we were talking about how many Hannah's were in our classroom(it's a common name) and she was like "we have one 3rd grade Hannah, one 4th grade Hannah, and one grown-up Hannah! ^.^" and I was like NUUUUU! :(

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.amaranthineforever.blogspot.com
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 1:30 pm

I go to a small(ish), E.L.C.A. Lutheran church where I live and I've gone there by entire life. I really like it, we have an awesome Pastor(she's really nice and likes Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc like me Very Happy). Though, it's pretty funny, because you hear about Youth group and how big it is and we have less than 20 people in that age bracket XD Oh well, I prefer it that way(though Youth group isn't exactly my thing).

I agree, Amar, I don't want to be considered a grown up either Razz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://writing-reading-acting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=20
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Is it any different having a female pastor? That's so cool! Very Happy I think some of my friends would make good pastors, but it isn't really too common here. Do you attend your youth group? Smile

Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Not really- I've had guy pastors and to me, there are good pastors and bad ones. I've seen good ones and bad ones of both genders and, to me, I like it when they're good and know their stuff(my pastor definitely knows her theology). However, I could have missed something, and there could be something different between the two. Smile

Yes, I do go to it every so often. Normally it's just food I can't eat and games(and I have a thing against games since I'm a terrible looser). Though, sometimes we do fun things, like playing Sardines(backwards hide-and-seek) in a corn field at a pumpkin patch at night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://writing-reading-acting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=20
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin

Location : A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Cool everyone! Smile

What my family does when we move to a new place is visit different churches in our new town and pick out the one that we like the best to eventually join, so I've gone to lots of different types of churches. Right now I go to a Methodist church, and I really like it. Like Siri's church, my church also has a female pastor Smile She is absolutely incredible! There's just something about her voice and the way she tells a story that makes you hang on to every word, and she has had so many interesting things happen to her in her life. You can tell that God has done amazing things with her life and that He has given her an amazing gift Smile

I also agree with Siri that it depends on the pastor, and not what gender they are. There are good and bad of both genders, and I absolutely agree that it's important that they know their theology Smile

I don't really go to youth group. I used to go all the time when I was in middle school, but as I got older most of the really good youth leaders left and now the youth leader seems to kind of pick favorites and youth is just kind of cliquish. I haven't been in a couple of years, but I've kind of been wanting to go back lately. I think some new leaders have joined since I stopped going, so I'd be willing to give it a chance again. Mostly, though, I just want to go to make the younger kids (especially the new 6th graders) feel welcome. I know that it's hard for some of the young kids to get adjusted and make friends, so I'd like to be there for them.

View user profile http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
Starwarsartist
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 pm

I've been going to a Pentacostal church for a few years now, and I actually really like the Youth group they have. Sadly, three of my favorite leaders left this year. We've never been able to keep youth leaders for more than two years, it seems. It sucks.

It took a year or two for me to feel like I belonged, but finally I feel apart of the group. And better yet, my brother will be old enough to go next year, so I get to show him the ropes! XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pinksaber13

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 4:38 pm

I don't often attend church. I love God and I think Christianity is the best religion, but there's something about churches I just don't quite like. I love what they stand for, but not what they are. Maybe I just haven't been to the right one or whatever. Razz

My dad is a bishop, though he doesn't have his own church. He travels the country speaking at different ones. So it kind of balances out, I suppose--we listen to his sermons when he gets the footage/audio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Ooh, are any of his sermons available online? Smile

I know, a lot of churches sadly are corrupted by sin and it can take a couple of tries to find a good one. There are some REALLY good ones out there, so keep trying though! Smile

Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 5:44 pm

I know the feeling about not finidng good youth leaders. We keep loosing ours after a few years as well Razz And yes, Youth Group can be VERY cliqueish. Razz.

My pastor actually was talking about this recently and I found it really interesting- she said that different people connect to God in different ways; like, some connect best at worship service and through prayer, while others do better in a discussion/intellectual setting, while still others connect through helping others, etc(there were several other things, but they are escaping me at the moment). So, worship just might not be the way you connect(I know it's not mine) Smile. It made me really happy to hear that since I actually understood why I hardly felt close to God at church, I just connect with him differently(since I've always viewed God and Jesus as more mentors and teachers than as friends).
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 pm

It can be very uncomfortable for us to try and connect to God through worship if we're not wired for it. I couldn't do it at all until last year. Worship, standing, singing, raising hands,etc., felt very strange to me even though I had been in church all my life. During worship I would just be quiet, rock back and forth and my heels and wait for the songs to be over. I thought the people who raised their hands, sang, closed their eyes were just trying to show off how "spiritual" they were.

It only really changed until I joined the worship band at church. Now, I'm one of the people who sings, claps, raises hands, cheers, etc. during church. I'm not the only one, there was once a teenage boy who just didn't get worship singing but is now our worship leader. Smile

That said, worship through music/singing is a great gift from God that helps the holy spirit work in our lives, so I would still try to pray/talk to God as much as possible during the songs!

And I hope that you meant "worship by singing", because worship in general is just praising God any way you can, through living your life, helping others, and fulfilling our purpose on earth. It's all worship! Wink

That's one of the ways i connect to God now. I also journal, and pray throughout the day(not really formal "Dear God/In Jesus's Name, Amen" prayers but just a line or two, just having a conversation. How about you?

Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Wed May 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Yeah, worship through song(and pretty much the entire service, since at my church we call that 'worship') was what I was talking about.
Back to top Go down
Pinksaber13

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Thu May 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Yeah, Amar! You can watch some of them for free here. Smile

I feel exactly the same, Shena. I mean, I think singing and music, etc., is amazing, but... it just never quite clicked with me. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Thu May 09, 2013 3:20 pm

I go to a Southern Baptist church. Smile My family visited a lot of churches for a few years before we joined this one. It's really great, the worship is amazing and genuine, the doctrine is sound, and the people there are so friendly and really live out the gospel. I'm really glad God led us here. Smile

~Rachel/Cerasi Skywalker
Princess of the One True King, Friendly Neighborhood TLF Mod, Queen of Wolves, Allyran Elf, Owl Citizen, Dakota's biggest fan, Narnian, Jedi Knight,  Anakin's younger sister, Graphic Designer, Artist, Photographer, Dreamer. <3

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.rachel365photo.blogspot.com
Bluesaber3
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm not really sure what the denomination of my church is, not that I'm ignorant of it, but it just never has seemed to come up. Neutral

I really love my church though, and I adore youth group. Of course, recently a lot of my friends have left youth group due to moving or business; last year my youth pastor left and this year our other youth pastor is leaving in the summer, and lots of leaders have left, so it's becoming more unfamiliar to me. But I do really love my new youth leaders/small group leaders, and I'm getting to know my small group more. I think that it's nice, in one way or another, because it helps me to focus on God and learning about Him rather than being there for friends.

I really really love worshiping in song- I actually like to sort of dance in a way. Once I got over the fact that it really doesn't matter at all what other people think of me, I've wanted to worship God with my whole heart, and letting my natural energy and excitement flow through me in movement is incredible. The crazy thing is that since I don't care about what people think and I'm doing it for God, people have come up to me and told me that the way I worship inspires them. It kind of makes me a little embarrassed to hear it, even if it is a compliment, but it's kind of great to know that God could use something as simple as a passionate worship to encourage people Smile

Want to read my stuff? I'd be so happy if you did! :3 Bluesaber3's Fanfiction Profile
ThE dIivIVsIoN Of iNsANiTy! http://thedivisionofinsanity.tumblr.com/
My personal blog: http://neonpinkpotatoes.tumblr.com/
ESFJ & Friends, a MBTI blog by me! http://esfj-and-friends.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
geek4God

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Mon May 20, 2013 10:52 pm

Aww Blue that was amazing! I'm the same way! I like to be totally undignified. though I usually sit in the way back so no one can see me. that way I know I'm worshipping with my whole heart and not just doing to impress people.

My youth group just ended for the summer and I cried sooooooooooo hard. Literally. It was depressing. Every year on the last day we sit all close and pray for all the seniors leaving and my brother is one of those seniors. So I prayed for him and I just sobbed because my brother is my best friend and the thought of him leaving brings me to tears. Everyone in the youth group cried. It was a very emotional night. But I felt so loved because as I prayed for my brother a bunch of people came and put their hands on me and offered me tissues. And afterwards one of the leaders came up to me and said that if I ever missed my brother they him and his wife would his drive me to see him as soon as they could. It was awesome.

And I got to worship with my brother! We stood in the front (which I never do.) and he just kept is arm around my shoulder the whole time and we just worshipped with all we had and we screamed and shouted and danced. It was the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://princessfaithm.blogspot.com
Bluesaber3
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Mon May 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Aw that sounds so bittersweet, G4G! My youth group goes through the summer, so I couldn't imagine it ending (well, until I'm a senior next year and then I won't be able to come anymore after next summer...). That's great that you got to pray with your brother though and that you have so much support there. Smile

Want to read my stuff? I'd be so happy if you did! :3 Bluesaber3's Fanfiction Profile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Tue May 21, 2013 8:36 am

The other day at church we actually sang a Baptist-like worship song with clapping which was quite funny since we're Lutherans and we're always very reserved during our services. XD
Back to top Go down
geek4God

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Tue May 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Yeah. Wow! your youth group goes all summer?!?! That sounds so awesome.....

and I can't imagine not jumping around like a weirdo during worship. haha. but thats just me.
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 pm

That's fine Smile I'm just the opposite, I'm a very reserved person when it comes to religion XD.
Back to top Go down
Bluesaber3
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Tue May 21, 2013 6:16 pm

geek4God wrote:
Yeah. Wow! your youth group goes all summer?!?! That sounds so awesome.....

and I can't imagine not jumping around like a weirdo during worship. haha. but thats just me.

Yep! It's different in the summer (no small groups) but we still meet and do more whole group things.

Yeah same here, especially recently. I'm an energetic, passionate person just in general, so it only feels natural for me to express it in my spiritual walk.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
geek4God

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Tue May 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Yeah. I'm not saying that everyone should go all out in worship. Worship is so cool because its you expressing your love for God in your own unique way. There's a boy in my church who head bangs and plays air guitar. (I love watching that kid worship. he's the best.) and then there's another guy I know who will just sit there and listen. I love it! God made us all differently, so we all worship Him differently:)
Back to top Go down
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:59 pm

Reviving this topic after almost two years! XD

Anyway, I'm super excited about my church situation.  In Novermber 2013 we voted to sell our building because it was too big for us and really expensive to maintain.  We didn't really have any idea where we'd go, we just had to take a leap of faith.  God was definitely with us through it all!  We looked at several options, building, renovating, renting... and after a few months, we were led to a performing arts center that was previously a church.  The really cool thing is that through the move we were all being stretched and called out of our comfort zones, and that was God preparing us for our new location.  It's in the middle of a huge neighborhood that's 85% unchurched.  Other churches have been moving out of the area and we're moving in.  I'm just really excited about having the opportunity to reach them with the gospel! Smile  
Also, I've grown personally through the move too.  Before we moved I was in a ladies Sunday school class and didn't really interact with the other youth at all.  I was too shy, they were so different than me, and I was just really comfortable in my ladies class.  But during the move I started going to a few youth events.  I didn't really feel connected to the group, but I really loved our new youth pastor.  Well, a couple months ago he asked me to be a student leader. :O  That was scary to me, but I prayed about it and decided to accept the role.  Girls, I'm so glad I did!  I've gotten out of my comfort zone, made new friends, and learned how to BE a friend!  I used to go into a room of people and my attitude was, 'what can I get?' Who can I talk to who makes me feel good about myself?  Oh, she looks lonely but I'm too scared to talk to her...  What if I talk to those people and say something stupid?  
I really struggled with the fear of man.  But I've learned to show the love of God instead.  To go into a room and think, 'what can I give?'
And I'm far from perfect and I'm still awkward but I'm just so excited that I've learned that God can use that if I'm only willing to let Him!!!
Anyway, I'm just so ridiculously excited about this right now and I had to tell someone! XD

...Wow, I think I rambled a lot. Sorry! XD

How's it going with your churches?  Have you ever felt like I did around the other teens at church?

~Rachel/Cerasi Skywalker
Princess of the One True King, Friendly Neighborhood TLF Mod, Queen of Wolves, Allyran Elf, Owl Citizen, Dakota's biggest fan, Narnian, Jedi Knight,  Anakin's younger sister, Graphic Designer, Artist, Photographer, Dreamer. <3

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.rachel365photo.blogspot.com
Bluesaber3
Moderators
Moderators

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:03 pm

That's really awesome, Rachel!! Very Happy

I've been learning a lot about how to be a better friend too, by wanting God more. That was the theme of the retreat I just got back from: "I Want God."

My church has been going through a lot, but I think we're all learning and growing. This past summer, our lead pastor resigned, for specific reasons that I won't get into, so we as a church have had to go through the grieving and adjusting process, which is weird and no one really knows what's going on but that's okay because God does. They thought they found somebody to be the new pastor, but a lot of people had concerns, and then the new guy didn't think he had full support from the elders of our church, so he resigned just a week after being announced as lead pastor. So that was a little crazy. Honestly I'm not sure how I'm connecting, because even though I know I'm learning that God is more important than friends, all my close friends are not at /my/ church (or at least not on Sundays, and I can't go to youth group anymore because I graduated high school,) so it's hard for me to really feel fully connected. I have a Bible study group with a few girls that had been in my small group when we were in youth group, but honestly they're just all closer to each other than I am to them. It's been hard for me with all my close friends either far away or super duper busy; that's why this weekend of reminding me that I need to want God more than ANYTHING was really beneficial.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Church!!!! :D   

Back to top Go down

Church!!!! :D
Page 1 of 1